“Woven Warrior” in Junk Kouture


Students from Loreto School Clonmel have created an awe-inspiring dress for the national Junk Kouture fashion and art competition that is open to second level students around the country.

 “This competition aims to challenge students to rework junk and already used materials that are beyond their intended purpose and to craft them into eye-catching bespoke fashion designs.”

Loreto submitted three entries with each of the extravagantly designed dresses the result of hours of brainstorming, creativity and hard work by the design teams. One of the three entries made it through to the Regional finals which will be held in the University Concert Hall, Limerick on Friday, March 10th. The Loreto Regional finalist will go live on the Junk Kouture facebook page on Monday 20th February to Friday 25thFebruary and go through a public voting system. Votes count for up to 10% of their final grade,with the other 90% being awarded by a panel of judges at the regional finals.

 ‘Woven Warrior’is designed by Amy Lonergan and Eimear O’ Connor, who are both transition year students. The dress is mainly made from building strapping and briquette ties. The oufit was made by interlacing a network of the strapping to create a weave. Afterwards the students spray painted the outfit so that it became a more wearable modern fashion piece. Amy will model the recylced outfit for ninety seconds on the catwalk to impress the judging panel with their glamorous creation. They are currently working on creating a dance routine for the catwalk.

Out of the eighty designs that qualified for the regional final twenty will be chosen to represent the South in the National Finals which will take place in the Bord Gais Theatre, Dublin in April.

 

Please vote for ‘Woven Warrior”.